2.14.2010

Putting a New Spin on Old Items-- Upcycled Decor!

I have gotten into the habit of looking at everyday items, flipping them upsidedown, squinting my eyes, forgetting what they are really made for, and transforming them into art/decor pieces for my home. It's great fun! Here's an example of a few of my recent creations (some of the best sellers in my Etsy shop):



Vintage Tray Magnifique Memo Board (with Vintage Button Magnets)-


A couple of inspiring upcycled items that get me in the mood to scavenge around my kitchen and basement:


Tupperware Lamps! How genius! These beauties, created by Frank Ciscione, look fairly simple to make and would look lovely in a colorful grouping over your kitchen island. They can be purchased for $75 at Artifactori in Sommerville, MA, or you could probably just make your own from thrift shop Tupperware finds. Don't be surprised if I start making these cuties and selling them in my Etsy shop....

Upcycled Cheese Grater Pencil Holder by Etsy seller RaeRaeSisters. Although this item is sold out on Etsy, I'm sure you could contact the seller and find out if they plan on making something similar in the future. It's just so clever and functional! Check out their shop for more reclaimed goodness!

Wonderful! This charming Feed Sack Cushion by Etsy seller nextdoortoheaven can be customized with your favorite destination or street address and it's only $35. It's sure to stand out against plaids, solids, and florals on your bed or sofa.

Recently Real Simple did an article on putting your potted plants into old coffee cans and vintage food tins. I have the sweetest, red Folger's can that holds one of my window plants. I'm hoping to someday use only reclaimed items to hold my house plants... better keep collecting!

photo courtesy of Poppytalk

So, I hope this posting has inspired you to start creating new things out of old and everyday items. Feel free to comment with your ideas and/or similar things you have seen done. I love reading your comments!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I love the lamp shades. I wonder how he keeps the light bulbs from burning the plastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails